Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > Workshop > Engine, gearbox and diff

Old Mon 26th March 2012, 09:35 AM
Not subscribed

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Supercharger for Subaru?

Does anyone know of the easiest brand of supercharger that can be bolt on power with very few mods on an Ea81?

I know turbos are more popular etc but compression reduction etc makes them less desirable from my thinking.

A few things- cost, fuel consumption predicted, ease of instal, brand, power increase for towing etc.

No I'm not serious about putting one on my trike.....and no I dont regret putting in an EJ20 instead of the ea81......

Just asking.....pondering.....dreaming!

Tweety- EA81 38/38 weber, VW auto, skinned knuckles. My ex partner said "its me or a trike"....bad move. I mean how was she going to carry me 15,000 kms a year?
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 11:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Going fishing eh mate??

I'd be going for the Toyota SC12 super charger. Good unit, good output and a stand-alone unit so you can bolt it where ever you can make a bracket for it. Your hardest part will be making the carb sealed to handle the boost.

It'd go sick on your EA81. Also if you get the clutch fan pulley you can turn it on and off "mad max" style

Since Subarino has done it on his EJ'd hatchie and riding in that it's always been gnawing away back there. And now that Taza's having a go at it I'm getting closer to making a move on it - plus I've got a mate with a liberty that was looking at a turbo for better performance and I told him about this mod that is easily reversed...

But we'd be looking at the larger SC14

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 11:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

Davidov is on a distinguished road
Taza and I are currently in the middle of a project to SC14 supercharge both his EJ20 and my EJ25. Hardest part is the mount since it must be mounted off the engine itself.

A SC14 unit can be had for $350-400. Then gear like BOVs, possibly an upgraded carby for the EA81, and piping etc. In total your looking at $<800 hopefully.
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 02:52 PM
Not subscribed

Quote:
I'd be going for the Toyota SC12 super charger. Good unit, good output and a stand-alone unit so you can bolt it where ever you can make a bracket for it. Your hardest part will be making the carb sealed to handle the boost.

It'd go sick on your EA81. Also if you get the clutch fan pulley you can turn it on and off "mad max" style
mmmmmm, interesting...very interesting Bennie

Quote:
off the engine itself.
meaning? me no kabish!

Quote:
In total your looking at $<800 hopefully.
within budget some time later in the year.

I assume there's be more pull when towing. Dont get me wrong- ea81 is adequate. But reserve power! mmmm Economy? does it suffer?

Tweety- EA81 38/38 weber, VW auto, skinned knuckles. My ex partner said "its me or a trike"....bad move. I mean how was she going to carry me 15,000 kms a year?
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 03:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Davidov is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post

meaning? me no kabish!
The supercharger must be mounted in the engine bay off bolts on the engine. This is because the engine moves, if the charger were attached to the body of the car the engine movement would snap the belt from the charger to the engine pulleys, or rip the body itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
but Bennie read this:

http://turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic....highlight=sc14

quote:

I have spent the last two years superchargeing an 8v 2L engine. The first year was spent wasting my time with three 1ggze sc14 superchargers. All of them ended up blowing oil seals, which replacements can not be found in australia.

your views?
This is probably because he is trying to push an unreasonable amount of boost out of this little supercharger. The sc14 is low end stuff, between 5-10psi tops.
So it wont be mind blowing turbo like at all, it will be a decent torque and performance boost. Stock NA subi engines cant really handle anything more without modification.
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 03:42 PM
Not subscribed

Thanks Davidov

Read up a bit on the web. the pulley on the SC12 is flat toothed. a V belt could replace it and its from a Sigma A/C unit.

I have a fair bit of room on top of my ea81 especially soon as the radiator will be moved form above the transaxle to the front of the trike. Seems after reading up the SC12 will suffice. I wouldnt want much more power than what I have and dont want to

-lose reliability
-carry out internal mods
-lose economy (which I'm really enjoying after the VW aircooled engine) I'm constantly getting 9-10L/100kms now.

Finally it seems there are many SC12's on the market with owners wanting to go up to SC14 for high performance reasons. Might be some cheap opportunities there.

I dont know anything about the plumbing of the SC. Would it be hard to do or can I purchase bolt on things. it has the weber 32/36.

Old Mon 26th March 2012, 07:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Can you really put any boost pressure through a carby? push through or pull through I would have thought it would be too much for the butterflies or might make something else go "pop" Would be interested to see how it goes.
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 08:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

BaronVonChickenPants
Send a message via MSN to BaronVonChickenPants
Sorry to be the bringer of bad vibes, but I have explored this possibility myself and found the following flaws in the theory:
  • The standard EA81 does not take kindly to forced induction due to it's long intake passages, the dual inlet twin carb EA81 or EA81T heads would be required to overcome this. Unfortunately these are rare and big $$$.
  • Most carbs do not handle being pressurised as their basic principles rely on suction and gravity to get fuel into the engine. Positive pressure will usually just force air backwards through the fuel jets emptying the fuel bowl. There are carbs that are designed for positive pressure, unfortunately these are rare and big $$$.
  • One alternative is to run the super charger in a suck through arrangement, but unless the charger is designed for it, this will drastically shorten it's life expectancy.
  • Another is to adapt an EFI system in place of the carby, the SPFI systems from Camira's or EA Falcons are common choices.
In short, to do this properly will require a lot of time, a lot of expense, a lot of trail and error and result in an overly complex and potentially unpredictable beast for minimal gains.

For a reliable increase in power an EJ really is the way to go, even just an EJ18 is a nice unit.

Jordan.
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 08:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Gannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gannon
Like this?

Link to USMB page Superoo 72 GL racecar
------------------------------------------
Wanted Parts:
-FWD L series shifter console (without the Lo range/4WD lever hole)

------------------------------------------
EJ wiring loom modification service for engine conversions into MY, Brumby and L series for eastern Aus. PM me for more details
Old Mon 26th March 2012, 11:37 PM
Not subscribed

mmmmm this is getting interesting.

I enjoy counter claims and reasons for them.

So anyone carried out the inclusion of a SC on an ea81/2 and have a report for us?

Cost
Powe rincrease
ease of fitting
anything else...