Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > Workshop > Engine, gearbox and diff

Old Mon 18th January 2010, 06:04 PM
Not subscribed

Dan. S is on a distinguished road
EA engines custom intake manifolds?

Hi guys

Im new to the forum but have been reading and gathering information for some time on the mighty subaru L series. I have decided to get one of these superb machines for myself.

I have attempted to find info using the search function for anyone who has put together a custom intake manifold for the EA series engine with no luck.

I have good mechanical and fabrication skills and read how lousy the factoy item is with the coolant flowing through it and all. I have read over some aviation forums and websites about making your own carbon fibre inlet manifold but have yet to find a good pic or instruction on an automotive application inlet manifold. I prefer to work with metal than carbon fibre anyway and dont quite understand how the stuff works in such an application and even if it would be legal to be honest.

Does anyone have any info or made one up they could share some pics and performance differences from standard equipment or any links to automotive application preferably fitted to a L series with a weber carb hanging of the end of course or even twin carb custom set ups? I like making stuff and think it would be a good project and should be beneficial if researched and made properly.

Thanks for a great forum and take care.
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 06:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Gannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gannon
The first thing the majority of members here are gonna suggest is do an EJ conversion (this entails replacing your EA82 with an EJ20/EJ22/EJ25 from a Liberty, Forester or Impreza

If you still wanna pursue with the EA82, id suggest either a low km engine, or rebuild yours to get the most out of your compression ratio.
Id then throw out your single inlet port heads and fit twin inlet heads from a MPFI touring wagon.
Then you have a reasonable platform to fit your custom intake and a well tuned webber carby.

You could always fit an intake like this and mount a side draft SU carby or similar

(thanks to nncoolg for the images)
------------------------------------------
Wanted Parts:
-FWD L series shifter console (without the Lo range/4WD lever hole)

------------------------------------------
EJ wiring loom modification service for engine conversions into MY, Brumby and L series for eastern Aus. PM me for more details
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 07:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

steptoe is an unknown quantity at this point
keep the dream alive - research the Safari EA81 option of down draught weber on each head. You need to include a thermostat housing and no harm in using a rubber heater hose to join left to right custom manifold. I'd like to see someone make up a sand cast manifold incorporating the head to manifold ports and maybe a central thermostat housing borrowed from something else join up with heater hose.

I run a twin carb manifold on an EA81. SNORTED on petrol . First time you see on you think you seeing double. The manifold will fit EA82 with minimal changes, small bit of a block needs trimmng.

Put out a wanted ad for EA81 twin carb set up and see what comes up ?? Careful not to get EA71 manifold , they are too short.
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 08:00 PM
Not subscribed

That looks interesting and with the right mods it could be done. What is that intake of if you dont mind me asking (obviously Subaru but what model, engine size etc.)? It appears to have 2 runners on each side (4 all up) but I could be wrong it may be a single runner judging by how the runners appear to terminate into one flange on the ends (Im relatively new to Subarus so forgive me if Im wrong). I like the sidedraught carby idea and was playing with it as i have contemplated on ways to make up a custom inlet manifold for the EA series.

I would rebuild the engine before making a custom manifold and thought the EA81 would be a better engine to use. That way I can keep the car running while I put together a reconditoned and modestly modified engine then swap it over with minimal problems and distruption to having the vehicle taken off the road for long periods of time (drop it in over a weekend).

I like the EJ idea but the time and money needed for a proper upgrade is prohibitive for me at the moment. I much prefer to take my time and do up a EA81 slowly but good and thorough then drop it straight in. Im not really looking for serious performance just a little better than standard and do most of it myself except for the machining and valves etc. of course. I like making things and thought the inlet would be great project considering it could be made with nice long runners designed to house the carby where the spare wheel lives. Besides it shouldnt be difficult to improve on the original with all the available room under the bonnet when the spare is removed.

The manifold above is interesting and gives more food for thought, perhaps extending the runners and having it up where the spare wheel used to live could be a option. Let me know what its of so I can go see and measure one for myself.

While Im on the subject of mods I read somewhere that you cant shave too much of the cylinder heads as it effects the way it bots back up (EA81) and may not fit back together properly.

Can anyone with experience or in the know clarify this for me please as I want to bump up the compression if I can but within a comfortable limit of the engine and not on the edge of the heads limits if that makes sense?

I understand the MPFI EA82 pistons can increase compression to around 9.5:1 (correct me if Im wrong) but where do you find a decent set of those still on the conrods?

Thanks again for a great forum and more ideas to ponder.
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 08:05 PM
Not subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
keep the dream alive - research the Safari EA81 option of down draught weber on each head. You need to include a thermostat housing and no harm in using a rubber heater hose to join left to right custom manifold. I'd like to see someone make up a sand cast manifold incorporating the head to manifold ports and maybe a central thermostat housing borrowed from something else join up with heater hose.

I run a twin carb manifold on an EA81. SNORTED on petrol . First time you see on you think you seeing double. The manifold will fit EA82 with minimal changes, small bit of a block needs trimmng.

Put out a wanted ad for EA81 twin carb set up and see what comes up ?? Careful not to get EA71 manifold , they are too short.
Thanks for the reply I was typing my second last post while you obviosuly submitted it and my second last remarks where aimed at the thread above it. However Im now going to check out the Safari EA81 as I havnt heard of that one.

The manifold above with extended runners angling back upto the spare wheel well has also got me thinking.

all the best fellas
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 08:10 PM
Not subscribed

how do i become a subscriber?

My avatar tells me Im not subscribed. Is there a fix for that that I havent realised as everyone else seems to be subscribers and I thought I was too.

cheers
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 08:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

nncoolg is on a distinguished road
the above is a highrise intake off an EA82 MPFI or Turbo engine out of a my88 on Vortex. The 2 port heads from the EA82 will not work on the EA81, but you can get very nice 4 port heads and EFI intakes for the EA81 from a mob called SUB4, definatley worth getting, almost worth downgrading from an EA82 to an EA81 to use them!
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me
...A few things I have available ATM to spare you may need:
#Multiple L series thermo-fans
#Series1 (84-86) Vortex front bar
Old Mon 18th January 2010, 08:44 PM
Not subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nncoolg View Post
the above is a highrise intake off an EA82 MPFI or Turbo engine out of a my88 on Vortex. The 2 port heads from the EA82 will not work on the EA81, but you can get very nice 4 port heads and EFI intakes for the EA81 from a mob called SUB4, definatley worth getting, almost worth downgrading from an EA82 to an EA81 to use them!

I have looked these up, but Im scared to ask for a price. I will eventually muster up the courage though.
Old Tue 19th January 2010, 08:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

steptoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I asked , make ref to the couple that won $5mil recently.... I think it was about $1500 for one bare head, then the roller rockers, then custom intake. May be better to ask if they still have their Blue Brumby powered by this gear and BUY it
Old Tue 19th January 2010, 08:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

TOONGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan. S View Post
My avatar tells me Im not subscribed. Is there a fix for that that I havent realised as everyone else seems to be subscribers and I thought I was too.

cheers
in your user control panel is an option to a paid subscription (near the bottom of the list) basically when you subscribe you help pay for the hostimg of the site and it lets you post in the classified section and other areas

TOONGA

PJ the ongoing money pit, only 69+ pages of spam to read, just ask Bennie or RSR
A smart man lets his wife wear the pants......... an adventurous man gets into said pants whilst his wife is wearing them