Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > Workshop > Engine, gearbox and diff

Old Wed 17th May 2017, 09:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Cliff R is on a distinguished road
I think the thermo switch that controls the electric fans and screws into the radiator is a Trident P/N TFS195.
Can anyone confirm this or suggest another brand/part number ?
Old Tue 6th June 2017, 09:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Bugger....
Replaced the fan thermo switch into the radiator and now I have a pin hole leak in the radiator tank next to the switch.
Spose it has gone 34 years so cant complain.
Off to the wreckers in the next week to see what I can find.
Old Fri 9th June 2017, 10:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Ordered a new aluminum radiator.
Be here Tuesday hopefully.
Informed it will fit early Brumby's and Leone's and will fit dual elec thermo fans.
If it isn't right it can go back.
Here's hoping it doesn't need any mods to fit.
I don't have any other details till it arrives.
Old Sat 10th June 2017, 08:43 AM
Gold Subscriber

pedroj is on a distinguished road
Hi Cliff, be very interested to hear how it goes, I suspect I will need to do some thing similar sooner rather than later.. please keep a hold of the part numbers is it is a success as you may find a tribe of us trying the same thing.

Peter
Old Sat 10th June 2017, 11:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroj View Post
Hi Cliff, be very interested to hear how it goes, I suspect I will need to do some thing similar sooner rather than later.. please keep a hold of the part numbers is it is a success as you may find a tribe of us trying the same thing.

Peter
I plan to keep all info and pass this on to the forum.
The price I am being charged is $211 delivered and if it is no good it can go back. This is a bit more expensive than the likes of ebay but with it being delivered and can be returned if not good I thought to give it a go.
Will keep people updated.
Old Sun 18th June 2017, 09:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

New radiator arrived.

Short and Long stories following. Sorry it's all a bit long but stick with all of this as it tells a good story.

Short story first.
Radiator went straight in with both electric fans attached, no mods required at all.
It looks to be slightly wider but with rough measuring looks the same. The fans look to be slightly closer to the engine especially towards the Power Steering pump. Still, no issues and still enough clearance. There was a plastic drain plug in the drivers side tank which I removed and replaced with a steel plug.

Longer story now.
For those interested, I couldn't get a part number or manufacturer from my supplier. If anyone wants to order one of these radiators I can give you the suppliers company name and the contact (the owner). From talking to the supplier, there are 3 different radiators fitted to EA81 powered MY's/Brumbies.
The radiator I bought ONLY suits early MY's/Brumbies up to (we think) 83 or 84. This fits as my wagon is a 5th Month 1982.
This means anyone with a mid to late 80's or early 90's to end of manufacturer MY/Brumby, this radiator may not fit. I don't know what the differences are though.
This means for this weekend I managed to complete-
1. Pulled out all of the wiring loom that runs across the front of the car under the radiator to find where the front indicator power and earth wiring runs. Knew there was a fault and found where the earth wiring splices in it was all corroded and broken.
ran new earth wire across the car, re wrapped and wiring now into split flexible conduit too.
2. Replaced all accessible push mount wiring straps associated with holding the wiring under the radiator. Hint-used 6mm cable ties that come with the push mount adaptor fitted.
3. New crankshaft front oil seal installed.
4. New elec thermo fan thermo switch fitted to the new radiator.
5. New radiator installed.
6. New coolant used.
Had enough for now. Car is running a bit rough but this could be points/plugs/combination of both. Was like this before all the above work started. Ran the car with everything new fitted and the thermo fans came on with the temp gauge at about 1/3 level which is fine by me. At least they now work.

Again, if anyone wants one of these radiators let me know and I will pass on the info. I get nothing out of this except saving someone the hassle of finding a radiator that fits.