Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > Workshop > Conversions, modifications and performance

Old Tue 21st February 2017, 12:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Donkeytits1 is on a distinguished road
Cheers for the tip man.

I'm aware od SubaDaves part. Its essentially an inner race with a 22 tooth spline that goes onto the R160 shaft. Very little info in exactly who he gets to make them. They are also 200 dollars US, which just for the race is a bit of a rort, and I'd have use my old shafts which are getting old now.

I do suspect his motivation is because he couldn't find anything off the shelf. But I haven't finished going down my rabbit holes yet.

Last edited by Donkeytits1; Tue 21st February 2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old Sat 25th February 2017, 07:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiL View Post
There's a bloke in the US who figured out how to create custom R180 shafts for an L series, here's his website:

http://wordpress.suberdave.com/?page_id=275
I like his disclaimer at the bottom of his webpage!

Interesting. I wouldn't mind an r180 in the rear of Ruby Scoo but only if I could dig up an old air locker to fit into it... That thought has crossed my mind a number of times.

My other thought was shoving a hilux it's diff in there but there's a few issues to do this. One lasting one is the physical weight of the diff - it's almost like having another gearbox in there!

I'm surprised no one has made a set of adaptor stub axles - r180 spline count and diametre to fit into the diff with the output stub end being the standard r160 specs...

It's all fun and games!

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Mon 27th February 2017, 01:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

What I am surprised about is there is a common series of CV join sizes, yet there is no reference or catalogue anywhere I can find which details the inner (bar side) or outer spline details! Without that info matching anything is useless. I don't know if the likes of NTN provide the OEMs like Subaru with blank un-splined CVs or whether they are made to order. Definitely R180 inner CVs seem to be standard at least on the diff side.

Anyway, I crashed my temporary runabout - an immaculate 1981 Honda Prelude, a car I've owned since I was 17 (about 12 years) and rare as hens teeth - Devastated about that. But it means the R160 is going back into the Subaru for now.

Will stay on the hunt for an axle solution. Got all the measurements off the car now, so it'll just be a case of doing the swap once I get something sorted. Can't wait to drive with an LSD.

R180 locker - Haha a quick google showed up all your posts circa 2011 on USMB - Dude, looks like you can buy one for 1g US. And looks like ARB make theirs - Although I'm sure you know. Sounds pretty sick. That means people won't have to sign up for Uneeks R160 thing people have been signing up for for 12 months
Old Mon 27th November 2017, 08:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

I did get a response from the head of NTN Australia and, he basically said the spline details are made to order for the OEMs. So that's why you can't match spline counts. Bummer.

Also photobucket, what a bunch of cnts.
Old Fri 1st December 2017, 04:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey DT, that's not surprising about the driveshafts. Custom??

Or make up a set of custom R180 output stubs to mate your standard driveshaft to the diff (I would like this for an R180 locker to fit in Ruby Scoo).

Also, if you could smash out a write up about that auxiliary cable mod to the stock radio I'd be very grateful - I'd like to do this to the RS's stez (for when I finally have it on the road whenever that'll be).

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube