Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > Workshop > Troubleshooting

Old Sun 29th October 2017, 10:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
G'day Pedro,

Sorry to hear you've had all these issues and no luck with driving your brumby. Any steering issue is a concern.

I'd be looking at the strut tops - make sure they're not cracked and are moving freely as they should.

The other one that comes to mind is what SubySpanner mentioned - the steering knuckle uni joint. These can jam up when they're dying. If yours has any sign of poor operation I'd be replacing it. Best yet, pull it out and feel the movement in your hands, if it's got a crunchy or tight then free, tight then free feeling to it you need to replace the uni joint.

Another thing it could be is the bearings in the steering column itself. These rarely shag out but if the previous owner has had it in a lot for mud and water anything could be possible.

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Fri 3rd November 2017, 03:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

pedroj is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bennie and others,
well looks like the journey is over, have replace the steering column uni joint and the Brumby is behaving well... only had a short drive today (10km) but no sign of any tightness.

In the end I think there was a combination of things going on, the steering uni was causing the notchy feel and a unhappy strut bearing was creating my crazy self centering when cornering (way more than torque steer could ever do).

While I asked that the uni be checked on day one of the work, I was assured it was all okay... and the steering rack was the cause and needed to be reconditioned, later on in the drawn out process (months now) the business boss took over the work and the uni was highlighted as being 'tight' so I sourced one from a Gawler wrecker that was nice and free, they fitted it and all seems to be sweet, mind you I am now $800 poorer (2nd hand uni cost me $30).

hope this is the last of my steering problems and the G/F can use the ute safely when I am not rearing up the local roads..
Old Sun 5th November 2017, 09:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Good to hear that it's finally fixed Pedro. Shame it took $800 to work it out

Could've got power sterring for that price, maybe including fitting!

Cheers

Bennie

Old Sun 5th November 2017, 08:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

pedroj is on a distinguished road
Oh Bennie
I too wish I had gone for power steer as my G/F has a sore wrist and Power steering would have been a god send but when this was all in play I did not want to add another variable to the mix but never expect a cost of over $800 as my original rack was deemed un serviceable... which is odd as I asked for the parts to be returned to me and they look okay to me... oh well that part should not give me any more trouble now..

Onward and upward maybe a Forester ute is on the horizon

Peter
Old Thu 9th November 2017, 04:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Last I saw, Lonsdale U pull it had two MY wagons with complete power steering units. I'd love to pull one for the shelf in the event that I end up with another MY of some sort that doesn't have PS.

It really transforms your brumby, makes it feel more sporty as it makes the vehicle feel VERY lite and easy to throw around...

Cheers

Bennie