Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups.

Restorations and build ups. We will test this and see how it goes. A personal forum for members with major builds going on. This way we can keep all the posts together. If you have a major build going on let me know and I will set you up with your own area. If you have threads already running also let me know and I will then move them to your area. See the two I have added to get an idea of what I mean.

Old Sat 25th February 2017, 07:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
So the spandex is just a medium to get the shape of the rest of the box for the for regales to follow?

Awesome way of doing it! With that shape it'll look the bomb I reckon

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Sun 26th February 2017, 03:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
So the spandex is just a medium to get the shape of the rest of the box for the for regales to follow?

Awesome way of doing it! With that shape it'll look the bomb I reckon

Cheers

Bennie
Yes, the stretchy spandex just helps get a nice flowing shape between the rear shell and the mounting ring to fiberglass over - and the end result is:

This is awesome, can't wait to hear what the whole system sounds like now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23456 (Medium).jpg (101.7 KB, 75 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sun 26th February 2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old Fri 3rd March 2017, 11:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Looks good mate!

I'm currently building an overhead console for a targa top to accommodate a CB radio. I've also been looking at incorporating a set of small speakers at the back of the cab but I reckon it'd be blasting in your ear too much.

It's looking good so far for the primary purpose... time will tell once it's made from marine ply and sprayed for a nice finish colour.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll like the sound of that sub setup!

Cheers

Bennie

Old Thu 20th April 2017, 09:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

New molded carpet arrived

From this website: http://www.all-car-carpets.com.au/ Considering they are made to order, it arrived quite quickly in exactly 1 week.

Custom molded to fit the floor pan of the MY wagon so it should look factory original, just the way I like it Has a nice foot pad for the driver sewn in which was a nice surprise. Looks like it should fit nicely, just needs all the holes cut out and trimming to size down the sides which I will do slowly and carefully when I'm fitting it. It's charcoal grey and I think is pretty close to what the head liner is. Interior should look cool with a patch of this color carpet sewn into the door cards, and the two tone black and lighter grey seats

To anyone asking if I'm worried about getting it dirty when off road - I never planned to do any deep water crossings through muddy bog holes in this car anyway so no I'm not worried Floor mats all round are obligatory of course, and I'm using closed cell type waterproof carpet underlay.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170420_174635 (Medium).jpg (92.3 KB, 53 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Fri 21st April 2017, 08:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

Looks the same as what we put into the brumby a few years back.

It's wearing well. Some areas where the driver rests their feet are getting furry on the walls but otherwise it's going well after about 5 years I think.

And no water crossings or mud puddles when offroading... That's a good one!!

Cheers

Bennie

Old Sun 23rd April 2017, 07:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Looks the same as what we put into the brumby a few years back.

It's wearing well. Some areas where the driver rests their feet are getting furry on the walls but otherwise it's going well after about 5 years I think.

And no water crossings or mud puddles when offroading... That's a good one!!

Cheers

Bennie
I meant no water crossings through muddy bog holes

Just water would probably be fine, since the underlay is closed cell/waterproof just the carpet would soak it up and need drying out.

Some progress from this weekend; finished the last mounting point for the passengers front seat, had to get creative with this corner on both seats that's why I put it off and took so long Also hooked up/tested all the wiring to all the doors e.g windows, locks and courtesy lights so I could wrap the loom all the way through the cabin. With that done I could finish the sound deadening and start fitting the carpet. It's gone pretty smoothly and the front section is pretty much done with underlay. Having the old mat to mark out the holes would have made life alot easier but that got wet and mouldy years ago No work on Tuesday so should be able to finish off the rear section and put the front seats back in at least, back seats need re-upholstering to match the fronts.

Fancy looking (but necessary) seat mounts for the rear bolt hole closest to the tranny tunnel.

How the interior looks after a day and half work on the carpet. Old trim pieces are just there for test fitting, they'll be replaced/repainted to look like the drivers side kick panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170422_105541 (Medium).jpg (103.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_180157 (Medium).jpg (102.2 KB, 40 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Sat 29th April 2017, 06:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

A little more progress today - Made some ally mounting brackets for the amp to go under the passengers seat. Had to get it as low as possible to avoid the seat hitting it at full forward position. As it is now there is only 5mm clearance from the lowest part of the seat But clearance is clearance so I'm happy with that Also joined up the amps wiring harness with my loom to all the speakers and sub. I've got a fused power line direct from the alt to the amp, all I need now is a head unit to turn it on and I'll be rattling windows in no time

And again, those Outback seats are seriously comfortable And they swing so far back one could reasonably comfortably sleep on them if I was ever caught in a pinch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (Medium).jpg (100.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (Medium).jpg (97.4 KB, 32 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Sun 28th May 2017, 10:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hey SB neat work on the outback seats. Any further details on how you modified the mount points?

I've got a set of foz seats to fit in one of our brumbys and wanted to get further details of how you did yours. Also, how did you weld those tabs without burning holes in the seat's fabric?

Cheers

Bennie

Old Thu 1st June 2017, 09:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Hey SB neat work on the outback seats. Any further details on how you modified the mount points?

I've got a set of foz seats to fit in one of our brumbys and wanted to get further details of how you did yours. Also, how did you weld those tabs without burning holes in the seat's fabric?

Cheers

Bennie
Ahh sorry Bennie didn't see that post until now for some reason
Further details...details...well what you see in the pics is what I did 1 out of 4 mount points lined up out of the box (front bolt closest to trans tunnel on each) the other 3 were miles off. Basically make carboard templates, one by one, transfer to 3mm steel plate, cut, weld, fettle, curse, swear etc

The rear two were the hardest, with the rear one next to trans tunnel the absolute hardest; had to completely remove what was there initially and start from scratch with the bare rail. That part on my seats from the factory was MIG welded, spot welded AND riveted to the seat rail and were a real PITA to get them off. All that fixturing was probably a hint that they weren't supposed to come off As for welding without burning holes, I have a fire blanket I put over anything sensitive which does a good job of keeping the sparks out. Also have to be wary of cooking the rollers and their grease inside the runner; to this end I put the rail to the opposite end of where I was welding, used spot welds not a continuous run and stopped frequently while spraying with water to keep things cool. Fingers crossed all the runners still seem fine so far.

Also a little update and photo this week - I've had the rear seat parts re-upholstered to *sort of* match the fronts. Looking at the Forrester seats fabric closely the weave is amazingly complex with many flecks of different colors. I.e impossible to match with aftermarket stuff. So I picked black and grey fabrics that were near the mark, I think it will look fine. Also had the back of the back rest covered in the same carpet I've used on the boot floor, so when the seat is folded flat it will look like one continuous boot floor

And now to eat nothing but beans on toast for 2 weeks...that rear seat job was a bit pricey! The third most expensive thing I've bought for this car after the paint job and engine in that order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170601_174604 (Medium).jpg (62.6 KB, 16 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Thu 1st June 2017 at 09:49 PM.