Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups.

Restorations and build ups. We will test this and see how it goes. A personal forum for members with major builds going on. This way we can keep all the posts together. If you have a major build going on let me know and I will set you up with your own area. If you have threads already running also let me know and I will then move them to your area. See the two I have added to get an idea of what I mean.

Old Fri 5th February 2016, 10:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Some exciting developments in the 6 gauge cluster have transpired, namely converting it to full LED illumination and warning lights Using some 12v LED's such as this in blue I have converted my 6 gauge cluster from its original yellow/orange color scheme (blergh) to blue/green. Also ditching the hungry and dim incandescent bulbs in the process. Apologies for the blurry pic, my phone wouldn't focus in the dark but you get the idea.

I was annoyed to find the yellow filter for the main dials (white numbered areas) is built into the dials and not removable. But in a strange twist of luck, adding super bright blue LED's turned them green, not bad! while still having blue needles. They look a bit dim in the photo too, probably because there was only 11.8 volts there. With an alt charging the system at a healthy 12-14 volts they should come up a bit brighter...hopefully!

If you want to do this yourself, the modern LED bulbs plug straight into the original plastic light sockets which you remove by giving them a little twist from the back of the instrument cluster. You will need the "T10 wedge" type LED's to replace the larger incandescents, and "T5 wedge" for the tiny ones like warning lights, get white ones for these. This works with the standard cluster as well. LED's are polarized though so they only work one way, it is a slow process testing each one after installation to make sure it lights.
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Fri 5th February 2016, 10:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha! Looks tops mate. Would be keen on a better pic to see the green back lighting

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Fri 5th February 2016, 11:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Bantum is on a distinguished road
Kewl, beat me to it though ...

I'm in the process of doing the same to mine, I had thoughts of scraping the yellow paint off ( or scanning & reprinting them ) after finding the same deal when I pulled the cluster apart ...

Haven't got round to installing the globes yet ( got a few different types to experiment with ) so can't say with certainty what works best - will post up some picture on my thread when I get to it ...
Old Sat 13th February 2016, 09:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

Today, another milestone I've got every pin and every wire for the 4 plugs in the 6 gauge instrument cluster connected to something. I count this as a huge milestone, since when I got the instrument cluster I had no idea what any of the wires did and the circuit diagram in both my FSM's was completely different to what my cluster had. To celebrate I thought it was time I hooked the battery up again and did another test. (Admittedly) to my surprise, when I connected the earth to the battery post nothing went snap, crackle or pop and no fuses blew! No electrical fires to speak of. And as a bonus, everything worked!!! well nearly everything, the digital clock does not work. I might have to take it apart and see if I can repair the circuit, otherwise I'm a bit stuck for a clock.

I just had to make a vid of this momentous occasion, however crappy quality it may be (phones don't really like filming in the dark)

To get the door lights to come on, because my door switches aren't in yet I had to scrabble around the back in the dark to find the wires and just put them on a bolt or some earth point, same with the 4wd lights. Take note of the factory lo range 4wd light too I'm not entirely happy with the brightness of the LED backlights, it seems putting blue light through a yellow filter just sucks a bit too much light out of the whole thing. Thinking maybe I can hard wire some more LEDs inside the instrument cluster to throw a bit more light around.

-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sat 13th February 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sun 14th February 2016, 08:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

TOONGA is on a distinguished road
Well done Sam, that's a great job. The way you are working I see this being a finished car very soon

TOONGA

PJ Gone but not forgotten, only 72 pages of spam to read, just ask Bennie or RSR
A smart man lets his wife wear the pants......... an adventurous man gets into said pants whilst his wife is wearing them
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge
Old Sun 14th February 2016, 12:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Always a good feeling when it all works as it should!

Cheers

Bennie

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube
Old Sat 9th July 2016, 07:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Some progress on the interior has been made Today I trekked over to the north side of town to Subareck and got some really useful bits that I've been chasing for a while. Namely some decent seats, these are out of a Gen 3 outback (I think?) they're not the leather kind but they were the only pair of seats within reach I could find that weren't green from damp or worn out, and that had a good chance of fitting in the wagon . They've got the two adjuster wheels on the side, drivers seat has a lower back support adjustment. They're in quite good condition but still need a proper wash. Good enough for now that I can fit them.

Looks like I got the right ones, the physical size of them is just right to go between the trans tunnel and sill. The rails/runners don't line up perfectly, I could get one bolt in at the front, the other front was 30mm to one side and the rear ones are way off. I opted to use the rails that were on it instead of retrofitting the MY rails. I was able to un-bolt the outer rail so I could modify (read - cut, weld, grind, fabricate) the mounts then bolt it back to the seat and drop it in. The rear inner mount is going to be a bit more tricky. In the pics below the big threaded hole you can see on the trans tunnel is usually for the seatbelt buckle, but the new seats have the buckle bolted to them so I can use this hole to mount the seat.

Pics below. Yes I scratched the hell out of my floor paint but I don't much care, I'll just touch it up before I put the carpet down. Also these seats are bloody heavy!

Rear inner mount. just a little bit off.

Rear outer mount, had to move it over 55mm and push it forward 50mm

Front inner mount lines up!

Front outer just 30mm off, and no that wiring isn't crushed under the seat - photograph illusion

Front outer mount modded with 3mm plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_141218 (Medium).jpg (111.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_141232 (Medium).jpg (108.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_141326 (Medium).jpg (107.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_141342 (Medium).jpg (106.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_170443 (Medium).jpg (92.7 KB, 57 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sat 9th July 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old Sat 9th July 2016, 07:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Rear outer mount modded. CAD helps alot here (cardboard aided design)

Bolted up

She's in! Perfect height and positioning too.

Might I say, these seats are bloody comfortable Having sat on Brumby seats for the last 3 years with no side support or lower back support, these Outback seats are out of this world Really supportive, can tell it will hold me really well through those tight corners

And now I've got something to sit on for the upcoming test drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_170456 (Medium).jpg (89.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_172113 (Medium).jpg (105.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_172506 (Medium).jpg (106.1 KB, 62 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sat 9th July 2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sun 17th July 2016, 07:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

And the other seat is in! Well, 3 bolts are in like the drivers side at least. Still scratching my head on what to do with that last bolt position. Just realized today the passenger doesn't have all the height adjustment stuff in it (duh) which makes it a) lighter but also b) sits higher overall than the drivers seat. Not alot, it's not uncomfortable at all, just a bit close to the headlining. Too late to do anything about it now though. I'm taller than most and am not up against the roof so for anyone else it should be fine.

Really pleased how these seats have turned out, $50 for both of them was a steal too. Just need a steam clean up and they'll be good as new. Also you might see in the photo below, I've fitted the interior trim panel to the drivers side that goes down beside the seat. I had to cut off most of the part that goes under the stock seat (this was a sacrificial panel, I've got good grey ones in the boot) but other than that fits fine, even fits my 2x stock girth wiring harness

The flash highlights the brown stain lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160717_180711 (Medium).jpg (111.6 KB, 53 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sun 17th July 2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old Sat 30th July 2016, 06:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Last week I went down to U-pull it and found 4 MY wagons to choose from One had a really good condition interior so I nabbed the rear seat from it to replace my original one that was pretty knackered. I will still get this one re-upholstered since it has sun-cracked parts in the top corners and also to match the front seats colour. For now they were good enough to bolt in to get a look at how everything fits with the new front seats too. Pleased to say everything looks good even with the larger Outback seats up front. I can still fold the rear seat down flat and have comfortable leg room in the front. Likewise can have passable leg room for rear passengers and also still good in the front

The rear seat will stay in there now until I get it re-upholstered to free up some much needed shed space.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160730_133530 (Medium).jpg (101.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20160730_133601 (Medium).jpg (104.9 KB, 38 views)
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end