Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups.

Restorations and build ups. We will test this and see how it goes. A personal forum for members with major builds going on. This way we can keep all the posts together. If you have a major build going on let me know and I will set you up with your own area. If you have threads already running also let me know and I will then move them to your area. See the two I have added to get an idea of what I mean.

Old Wed 30th September 2015, 07:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Bantum, I know what you mean. According to those same rules the car should have a working charcoal canister for fuel tank and carbie fumes but the car never had one from factory Re the brake checker; I'm running all LED's so I should never need it, and if they pick it up on the roadworthy inspection I'll fix it then. Going to need a modern alternative to the old one though as LED's don't draw enough current for it to work properly, and I'm not keen on load resistors everywhere.

A little update about something other than the wiring: I've been tediously prepping the floor (cleaning all the old tar off ) and have put about 5 coats of paint over it and "kill rust" enamel in the boot, I don't want this to rust again! Next comes the sound deadener and after that, waterproof underlay and new carpet. I saw the head lining today and it looks absolutely fantastic Nearly(!) brought it home until I mentioned the center roof console...long story short the trim guy convinced me to get them to cover it, and had to leave the head lining there so they can get the grain of the fabric running all the same direction.

-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Thu 1st October 2015, 09:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Picked up the headliner today, looks fantastic

Complete with trunk light from an L series touring wagon
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Fri 2nd October 2015, 09:29 AM
Not subscribed

Nubaru is on a distinguished road
i now have an idea what to do with my scabby hood liner and am certain to break every clip on removal. have you got new clips from somewhere ?
member since 10january2014 #6191
Old Fri 2nd October 2015, 10:46 AM
Gold Subscriber

I didn't buy new ones, I only broke one on removal. On the MY wagon at least there are 2 different sizes of clips, and they're all at the back end. The headliner is held up by the windscreen rubber at the front end, plus the visors and rear view mirror bolting through it. For replacement clips you could try somewhere like this although I haven't measured my old ones yet to check if any of these are the correct size. The Toyota hood lining clip looks the closest for the larger clips. Or you could try a few local places like Supercrap as I think they have some trim clips. Probably mostly for commodores though
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Fri 2nd October 2015, 12:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Proton mouse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Proton mouse
Wow SB, I love the look of the headliner!! It has a great modern texture look to it.
Keep up the great work and the editorials!!
John
Old Fri 2nd October 2015, 04:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

steptoe is an unknown quantity at this point
while you are in there Sam, maybe think about an AP60 cruise control ? Currently making up a bracket to hold outer cable under dash for a pull on top of accy pedal , playing with "discover what thread is that?" to do a rivnut insert. My thread sizer tap set is not playing ncely. Is M5 philips head screw which I suppose translates to the 8mm head bults and nuts about the place ?

EA82 mpfi + EA71 flat top slugs + some money +
Old Tue 6th October 2015, 06:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

8mm head on a bolt usually means M5 bolt, or maybe M6? Hadn't thought about cruise control...I guess I could work it into the system somehow? But would need the control diaphragms cable attached to the accelerator cable somehow

Well I just came in from a frustrating couple of hours One of the relays I wired in when I first started the wiring was making a loud buzzing sound when energized (key ON position) Some research told me that usually means it's a bad ground. It would buzz with the power probe clipped onto the bolt holding the ring terminal to the body, but not with the ring terminal floating in mid air with the probe clipped to it...re did the ring crimp (and solder this time) cleaned the bolt, cleaned paint off the bodywork...still buzzing. Pulled the signal and earth terminals out of the relay socket, plug directly to relay, no buzzing

Anyway, after re-doing many crimps, earths, suspecting riv-nuts causing a bad earth connection, un-plugging the fuel pump fixed the buzzing That relay was sending power to the pump, but the pump earth return wasn't earthed...or was it...? There was me thinking the 2 pin plugs on these things had one vertical pin for positive, horizontal for negative. Not on this fuel pump! Didn't help that I didn't know the pump bracket HAS to be isolated from the body. So I had a short circuit...

Note to self, put some rubber washers under that bloody fuel pump bracket
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Thu 8th October 2015, 07:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Was a good day today Got the center roof console back and fitted it out, installed and all working Been a long time coming, just looking back at when the subie boys in QLD first started making these things...I was still in school! I got this one second hand but un-used from another member on here over 3 years ago...same time as I bought the immaculate sports dash pad. Knew I'd get there some day! Still need to take it down again when I get an antenna + cable to plug into the radio and cover the speaker in some fabric. Plus blue L series map lights need to be re-colored.

-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Thu 8th October 2015, 08:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

henpecked is on a distinguished road
looks very smick, well done.
Old Fri 9th October 2015, 01:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Bantum is on a distinguished road
Sweet, like the roof console ...

What sort of fabric covering did you use there ?

Cheers, Batnum ...