Since not been working I've pretty much spent nearly 8 hours a day working on the wagon instead
So the complete re-wire which I thought was going to take months will only be weeks instead. Since last post I've got a basic loom down to the tail end now i.e tail lights, wiper+washer, fuel sensor plus a few other things AND a dedicated power feed down to the back for some accessory sockets.
The peg board came in handy again but this time I strung up the old tail end loom including the part that is inside the tailgate and the bit that goes under the back end to the LH tail lights, and just used the old loom to get the length and positioning right for the new wires. Then I took the new wiring down and laid it out in the car, fished the tailgate bit through all the bodywork (nightmare
) and I have spent all today connecting up the rear loom section to the front end section by the drivers right knee. The factory loom had 2 big connectors here, but I don't think I'll bother and just have it all one piece. I'm thinking the only big connector I'll have will be for the engine bay section as I'll need to cut all these to fit the firewall grommet.
Also the drivers footwell needed some attention as the old sound deadening tar had turned to goo
the last year I was driving the car the rear passenger door leaked and every rainy night there would be a puddle in the drivers footwell; parked on a slope. Getting all that crap off was a total nightmare, heating it up just turned it to treacle and gummed up every scraping tool I could find, wouldn't chip off since it was too gummy. Spent 2 days scraping away at it and finished it off with a wire wheel and just scrubbed everything back to bare metal and resprayed it. Thankfully all the other original tar was brittle enough to chip off.
So now I've got a nice clean base to put the new sound deadener on.
This is some of the new stuff on the roof, "Resomat" which is cheaper than "Dynamat" but what all BMWs and ADF vehicles use supposedly
Here's my under-dash wiring at the moment. Interior fuse box is 95% done and I've got most of the dash wires in there, plus everything for the brake lights etc.
The new rear loom even still fits in the original cable clips!
Next is to start connecting everything up in the tail end!