Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups.

Restorations and build ups. We will test this and see how it goes. A personal forum for members with major builds going on. This way we can keep all the posts together. If you have a major build going on let me know and I will set you up with your own area. If you have threads already running also let me know and I will then move them to your area. See the two I have added to get an idea of what I mean.

Old Sat 8th August 2015, 10:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Bantum is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Like ...

Where's the like button ...

Yep - FB randomises your photo URL, so it keeps changing address ...

Sorry I wont have the Brumby wiring diagram done for mine just yet, but you're welcome to copy what is there.

As to relays, maybe they're the 5 pole type ? meaning it has more than one trigger / output ? - you'll have to get a wring diagram for it ...

Keep up the good work & post plenty of pictures for us ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Last edited by Bantum; Sat 8th August 2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old Sun 9th August 2015, 09:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Green_eyed_liberty
sounds like there is a few of us facing this issue.

sounds like you have the later model wiring loom and need the early model wiring loom..

i have the earlier model wiring loom and need the later model wiring loom..

how do you feel of mass producing these new improved wiring looms? hehe i know i will buy one
Old Sun 9th August 2015, 07:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Okay so I was a bit off on the headlights/fuses thing. Probably a result of spending too long testing wires and fuses Turns out the power out from the relay goes through the fuse, not the signal

Today I finished up testing and labeling the fuse box and have made my CAD drawing. Now I know what every wire coming out does, I can build onto that in Autocad and start designing a few circuits on the computer before I cut and crimp a single wire.

So after an hour in the shed and an hour on the computer this is what I've come up with:

Keep in mind all the circuitry I've drawn in above is all internal in the fuse box, there's no wires going from x to y hanging down underneath. The red side of the F/L seems to be the main feed in from the battery on the Liberty this box came out of, which also powers a few of the fuses directly without going through the F/L. The blue side of the FL is obviously the other side of the fuse, which powers a few different fuses. There are 5 x blade fuses on the right with the headlight relays next to them and 3 spares in the middle. 2 of the fuses are for the headlights, 2 are free and can be used for something else, with the last one getting its power from a separate external power source (not the main feed in or F/L) I might just splice this one into the main feed in to keep it simpler.

The relays and fuses along the top are completely separate from the fuse box with their own wiring underneath. So I can use these 4 for whatever I like. They were originally for A/C. Also the 6 relays in this box are not the typical BOSCH style ones, they seem to be Denso ones specific to Subaru with absolutely no information about them anywhere on the net.

Well now this gives me something to do while I'm waiting for some terminals and relays
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sun 9th August 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old Mon 17th August 2015, 10:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

Just over a week later and the cars wiring diagram has come along a bit I will have to go through it with an expert to make sure I haven't done anything really stupid, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Now I'm getting to the more complicated circuits, every now and then I just look at all those lines I've drawn and freak out a little bit before regaining my composure. The more I look at the factory wiring diagrams and some of the convoluted paths the current has to flow through I realize how cheaply they tried to make these things. I'm going to make a big call and say my wiring when it's finished with all the relays I'm using will have about half the number of wires under the dash

Plan is when the drawing is done to print it out half scale in color (maybe laminate it?) so I can pin it up somewhere, follow the lines, tick them off one by one as I lay the wire out.

-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Tue 18th August 2015, 09:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

TOONGA is on a distinguished road
That's Awesome SB, both those pictures remind me of Atari games from my childhood

TOONGA

PJ Gone but not forgotten, only 72 pages of spam to read, just ask Bennie or RSR
A smart man lets his wife wear the pants......... an adventurous man gets into said pants whilst his wife is wearing them
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge
Old Wed 19th August 2015, 07:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Clearwater99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are they chromed scorpion rims on your car ?
Old Wed 19th August 2015, 05:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater99 View Post
Are they chromed scorpion rims on your car ?
Hehe, I wish They're alloys that came with a 4 wheel disc brake kit I bought from a member on here. Theyr'e 4x114.3 stud pattern with the hubs modified to suit. I wanted Scorpions, or phil nelis' copies but these look close enough.
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Wed 19th August 2015, 07:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Bantum is on a distinguished road
Looking good ...

I'd also add a dual battery system & interior light circuit to make complete.
Going to post up your work on the down loads section ?

Cheers, Bantum ...
Old Thu 20th August 2015, 08:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Clearwater99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good one. Alloy probably better than the scorps .. nice reduction in weight.
Old Sat 29th August 2015, 09:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Still adding more and more to my wiring diagram, one circuit at a time. Yes Bantum, I might as well post it in the downloads section when it is done for anyone else who wants to overhaul the wiring for an MY I have shown what I've done so far to an expert to see if I'm on the right track and apart from one or two little changes it seems like I've pretty well got the hang of it.

Today I made my peg up board - template where I will actually construct the loom for the front half of the car hanging on the wall. Using a thick 10mm piece of docking rope (nice and heavy, floppy kind of nylon braided rope) I laid and zip-tied that out in the engine bay and under-dash following the path of the wiring. Added a few labels here and there for roughly where things will go and a few branch points with smaller paracord. This is to give me the correct length of wires I need to lay out on the board so I don't end up with anything 2 inches too short. I zip-tied that to the board and now all I have to do is copy the length and path of the rope with individual wires one by one. I'm thinking this whole idea is easier than poking around under-dash and threading individual wires around the place in-situ one by one.

Time will tell if I'm onto a winner or just completely mad

But there is one big problem at the moment Regarding the NZ 6 gauge cluster I have in my possession, and it's pin-outs at the back being completely different to what is printed in either of the FSMs I have For the two big round plugs mainly, with about 12-14 pins each. In the FSM they are numbered clockwise 1-12 on one set, then 13-24 on the other plug. With 3 additional wired plugs going into where the clock is making up about 50 different pins altogether. That's how it is in the FSM, with the wiring diagram for the "combination meter" having each of its inputs/outputs going to a numbered pin. But, the two big round sets of pins on my cluster are different to what is in the book Different number of pins, in a different layout.

I cannot comprehend why there would be two different pin layouts for the same cluster. Surely they didn't go to the effort of making different internally laid out instrument clusters depending on what country they went to. My FSM has options for "Australia model" and "Saudi Arabia model" so they must have been the same clusters going out to every country (apart from LHD vehicles) The only thing I can think of for why the book is different to what I've got is maybe they changed pin layouts between years. My FSMs being relevant to 80'/81' and 83'/84' models, maybe my instrument cluster is an 82'. I know the 80'/81' 6 guage clusters were different with a completely different gauge layout and analog clock not digital. So the only thing I can do now is hope there is a fragment of an 82' FSM somewhere on the net with the 2 pages in it that I need, or I'm going to have to sit there with a piece of paper, multimeter and test light and trace every individual pin to which light or instrument it goes to This kind of messes up my wiring diagram because I've drawn what was in the book, numbers and all but now that is all wrong!
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Last edited by Silverbullet; Sat 29th August 2015 at 09:35 PM.