Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups. > El Freddo

Old Sat 21st January 2017, 12:22 AM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Wiper washer jet? seriously?? Sounds like someone had a bone to pick or something...that must be so frustrating when you've put so much effort in, to be pulled up on stuff like that.

Re the wheel hub adapters - when I got my desert rats reburbed for the ute I asked the guy at the wheel shop about the need for hub adapters since the desert rats had a larger bore dia. than my hub spigots. He said no need, the wheels could be "hub-centric" or "lug-centric" it didn't matter either way. I think something along the lines of not being a 4.5 ton truck so no great danger of the studs being sheared or bent. Seems like it could be one of those things, different answer from everyone you ask
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Sat 21st January 2017, 02:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

El_Freddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Patrick - got the spigot adaptors already. Wheel nuts are all the same taper but will have a set on the way with the bell end and a small nut "head". The nuts that came with it have a one inch hex head length and the centre caps don't fit as a result.

These spigots are one of those things that were told are completely necessary. With that said on the rear of my brumby there isn't anything to centre the rim on the hub other than the wheel nuts. Same for many older cars.

Anyway it is interesting the huge difference between a place that looks at the vehicle and assesses and a place that tries to drum up business. The latter mechanics make me mad!

Sis picks up the car tomorrow and I'll see them both on Australia Day eve I'm looking forward to hearing what she thinks etc. Hopefully I'll have the new wheel nuts to swap over as well.

Cheers

Bennie

PS: Silverbullet - yeah it gets picky depending on where you go. A washer jet is technically a RWC issue due to not being able to wash your windscreen properly while driving. That's more something that would annoy me but if my windscreen was really an issue and I couldn't wash it on the go I'd pull over to sort it out. Servo refuelling stops are also a windscreen wash stop for me

El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Last edited by El_Freddo; Sat 21st January 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old Tue 14th March 2017, 08:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

So lucky me has Basil for the next week

Long story short I didn't get Mrs El Freddo's car back together over the long weekend. So a "quick" road trip to Cohuna and back has us Basil

Only one bush rat pic at the moment - this is on a back road picking wild fig and pears that we came across on the way up there:

As you can see Basil is currently full bush spec!

I really enjoyed driving Basil home, but found some of the roads really boring in a vehicle that felt like it wanted to sit another 40km above the limit...

He's just arrived home again. Such a good note with those UELs!

Sis said she thought I'd done something to the exhaust and that she likes it. Her better half picked up on it the first night she drove from work - apparently he could hear her a mile away. And with how quiet it is out their way I can believe him too.

Some quick fuel usage figures. The best my sister has achieved is 8.6L/100km consistently. The worst is 9.1L/100km - which is what I managed to get

Having now moved house, there's a white Gen 3 wagon down the end of our street - it's now up for sale. But it's apparently got a STi Genome rear muffler without the UELs. It sounds pretty much like a Honda If only he knew the mod. A much straighter looking subi in comparison.

I still love Basil, and most importantly so does my sister. Next up is an oil change

Cheers

Bennie

Old Sat 1st April 2017, 10:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Ok, so it ended up that the last three weekends there's been a visit to Cohuna!

The week after the pic above in the last post, we had to return Basil to my sis as she was back at work. The trick was completing suspension work on the VT (all rear bushes replaced and the last lot on the front end done too). Basil got an oil change - I've moved to 10W-40 semi synthetic. The previous owner was running a Castrol full synthetic that I don't care to remember.

One late night trip and here they were the morning after on the Gunbower Island:

Probably one of my favourite pics of Basil to date:

^ The rear patch on the body damage is really easy to see when he's clean and the paint shows its metallic as the sun brings it out. It's also very easy to see when the car is clean! But still much better than having left it.

We took a little trip into Cohuna itself. The town was quite sleepy on this Sunday morning:

While we were off to the shop, Basil "made a friend" (just like my sister, leave them for a minute and they know someone new!):

We left Basil and a week later I was back again, in Basil (big car shuffle happened), to pick up my sister's better half and head off to my brother's wedding at Mt Hotham. On the drive up there I got the best fuel economy seen so far at 8.2L/100km with sis's drive down and my drive up to Cohuna, fill up was in Echuca (good fuel price).

We did a bit of shared driving, then at Harrietville I got back in the driver's seat to have some fun heading up the Mt. We left Harrietville at a bit after 7:15pm and arrived at Dinner Plain (for dinner of course!) at 7:55pm. It was a nice run. At the point of Australia's highest sealed road (1850m) I snapped a few pics - it was later than I was hoping but anyway, it still looks pretty good I reckon:

^ Mt Feathertop off to the right in the pic

^ Mt Buffalo in the centre of pic with dusk above it.

Chilling out in Hotham Heights near Fountains and the Arlberg:

Last edited by El_Freddo; Sat 1st April 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Oil details added
Old Sat 1st April 2017, 10:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

And quite a special event I guess - up on the Summit of Mt Hotham, not many vehicles get access up here, let alone a road going liberty. At this point he was playing chauffeur for guests at the wedding.

Once off the Mt and re-fuelled, we (read: I) got the worst economy we've seen so far - 9.2L/100km. Pretty stoked about that considering heading up the Mt was generally half to WOT with a driving style trying to keep revs above 3500rpm. I have wondered if my sister filled it to the brim like I do, as this can have an effect on the figures. Either way it'd still be near the 10L/100km.

With those fuel figures I'm pretty stoked. I was worried that the 2.5L would be thirstier than the L series and end up costing my sister more in fuel than she would've with retaining the L. So glad we moved up a number of pegs to the Liberty and I also love the Gen 3 shape, probably the best of the Libertys I reckon.

A few things will need to be done soon. The rear muffler will need replacing, it's rusted quite badly now, this happened quicker than I expected. The front struts are probably about due for replacement, with 340kkm on the clock they've done well. I found a hole in the exhaust that was cut by the dudes that welded the hole they found during the RWC. That's ironic.

I've not driven the EJ20 version of this vehicle, but if anyone is looking for a Gen 3 liberty I'd recommend going the EJ25 RX model for the get up and go and the other little extras that come in this spec.

From here I think this thread will move towards the random adventures I share with Basil and the conversations/questions that arise from these.

Cheers

Bennie

Last edited by El_Freddo; Sat 1st April 2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added image (forgot it first time around)
Old Sun 16th April 2017, 09:55 PM
Gold Subscriber

As any Gen3 owner can tell you, their high beam lights are absolute poo!

After many frustrations I finally managed to complete this work - stock first:

work completed - second setup that clears the bonnet when trying to open it:

Overall look:

I'm very happy with the look. Neat and sort of aggressive with that Rally reference at the same time.

The wiring was another issue - for anyone doing this work: Use the negative switching model and reference the pin closest to the engine for the right hand high beam relay. This was THE wire we had to find for the "12v on with ignition". Every other wire we tried had the lights operate on low beam or when the stock lights were off. Very frustrating. Here's the diagram for negative switching:

Standard high beam for reference:

This is the end result with all lights ablaze:

Standard low beam:

Old Sun 16th April 2017, 09:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

High beam:

Low beam:

Photo because I can:

I've really enjoyed driving this subi. There's still some work to do but generally he's all sweet. I love how well the EJ25 pulls so easily, and if you need it a little quicker from low revs, rev matching a lower gear works an absolute treat

Next mod will be changing the switching of the lights to two factory switches rather than one aftermarket switch dug into one of the blanking switch panels...

Cheers

Bennie