Go Back   AUSubaru.com Forums > General > Restorations and build ups.

Restorations and build ups. We will test this and see how it goes. A personal forum for members with major builds going on. This way we can keep all the posts together. If you have a major build going on let me know and I will set you up with your own area. If you have threads already running also let me know and I will then move them to your area. See the two I have added to get an idea of what I mean.

Old Wed 6th July 2016, 09:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Suby Spanner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
That drop box makes it difficult to post images!

Expect the A pillar corners at the bottom of the windscreen to have some holes in there once you clear off the rust scale. That is not going to be pretty sorry to say.

The rust on the roof is "interesting"...

And that panel can be cut out and replaced in the tray. I've seen one job done by a plate and some rivets. Not my cup of tea but if it works. It looks like someone has filled in the holes that plate covers, hence the level of rust in there.

The quarter panel ding looks like it'll push out with some care.

It'll be a neat little unit once it's all done

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie, yeah you're right. I know the windscreen will see a couple of days with a welder, but it hasn't progressed down the pillar. If it was down the pillar I probably would have walked away from it.

Not sure why the roof shot, I'm wondering if it's had a bad repair previously from hail damage or something.

Not sure how to tackle the tray now I've had a good look, I'll get my panel beater mate to advise (read do it lol).

got the radiator out last night. The header plate is cracked, so it's junk. My radiator people will probably suggest another copper/brass job. Unless there's another better alternative.

Regarding the rad, there was only one fan: The alloy shrouded fan on the drivers side, pretty sure my old brumby had a second fan that was fitted with the air con? Am I missing a fan?

I gave it a wash yesterday and didn't find any other surprises, so other than light panel damage the real issues are:
Roof
Windscreen
Tray

I guess I could have bought a 'better' one, but given how good the body is on this, i think I've got a great little rocket.

Oh, and it starts even better than my old one.... How does that work when it's got 350,000km more on the speedo LOL.
Old Wed 6th July 2016, 06:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Spanner View Post

Regarding the rad, there was only one fan: The alloy shrouded fan on the drivers side, pretty sure my old brumby had a second fan that was fitted with the air con? Am I missing a fan?

I gave it a wash yesterday and didn't find any other surprises, so other than light panel damage the real issues are:
Roof
Windscreen
Tray

I guess I could have bought a 'better' one, but given how good the body is on this, i think I've got a great little rocket.

Oh, and it starts even better than my old one.... How does that work when it's got 350,000km more on the speedo LOL.
If this car doesn't have A/C there will only be one electric fan there should be a second belt driven fan...unless it used to have a/c and someone just took out the condenser fan with the rest of the A/C.

Looks like you've got some work ahead of you with that rust! or someone has some work ahead of them I had to do the A pillar corner on my wagon which was rusted like yours, be warned if you want to do it properly it's not for the faint of heart Also the tray in my ute looks worse than yours for rust, sagged in between the chassis rails too from overloading in a previous life. I plan to one day cut the whole floor out and replace it with tread plate like this:

-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Wed 6th July 2016, 09:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

majordad1 is on a distinguished road
Local Exhaust place here in Cleveland QLD supplied one had to modify the Y pipe to fit it up. $120 from memory. Barry
Old Sat 16th July 2016, 06:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks guys.

I do have air cond fitted so I'm missing a fan. Will the wreckers see if I can find one.

Got the new rad in, the rest of the system seems water tight.

Put a seal kit through the oil pump while I had the rad out.

The passenger door had a hissy fit an decided not to unlock, got the trim up enough to release it, once opened I just lubed the lock mech and it seems to have come good.

Got game and pulled up the targa panels...urgh, didn't know the panels had those curve brackets and slots to slide into, that's going to make the repair a lot more fiddly. Just for a laugh I might price up a new roof skin.

Over night I've had it indoors, but during the day it's outside. Lifted the drivers floor, that's ok, but the passengers is wet. I'll dry it out then I'm going to park it with a tarp over the roof and screen until I can commit to fixing the screen and roof. The a pillar on the passenger side is worse than I first expected, not terrible, but not great.
Old Sat 16th July 2016, 07:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Oh no! Leaks suck My ute leaks now as well, the drivers foot well is perpetually soggy these days. No rust but cracked windscreen rubber.

New roof skin? Don't think such a thing exists, maybe a good used one, would be one hell of a project to replace the whole roof
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end
Old Thu 21st July 2016, 09:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

pedroj is on a distinguished road
Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

I can explain all of the switches if you need more information The tray light should come on when the interior light is on and the switch up by the drivers head (B pillar) is on. Also the interior light is from a L series wagon..

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

now that stereo is different so that's odd and the radiator was replaced by me when I had it (new not recon) so seems that did not last long

Regards,
Peter

Last edited by pedroj; Thu 21st July 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old Fri 22nd July 2016, 05:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

mattw
Quote:
Originally Posted by majordad1 View Post
Suby,

I am very happy with new Tonneau I got from some crowd in Gladstone was not expensive and turned up within a week. Will try and dig up the contact details and load a photo or 2. Mines a 92 and has a Catalytic converter had to replace it. Cheers Majordad
that would be these guys? Thanks for the prompt to go searching. I need one for mine.

http://www.kemptons.com.au/subaru-brumby-1982-current
Old Wed 27th July 2016, 09:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroj View Post
Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

Regards,
Peter
Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why

I sent you a PM.
Old Wed 27th July 2016, 11:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

pedroj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Spanner View Post
Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why

I sent you a PM.
Yes the world is so strange with its tangled web of events, I had enquired about that Brumby at MororReg and asked if the license plate was still active and they said it was un registered, so assumed that the brum had gone to a wrecker. um er look at the passenger door front lower corner and the passenger side A pillar around the hinges. Also around the passenger side windscreen (lower). Where ever you see GALV paint, that was me cleaning and trying to treat the dreaded rust as it was used by a beach fisherman in Pt Lincoln I believe.

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/ click on the photo of the brumby with the caravan for a better view

I am sure the Brumby does not mind what it is called as long as it is loved

Peter.

Last edited by pedroj; Wed 27th July 2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old Wed 27th July 2016, 01:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hey Peter,
it can't have been used by a fisherman too much, as the body is pretty good. I agree about the door, that is pretty stuffed, my mate reckons repair it, but if I can find a decent door I might go that way. Passenger a pillar is the worst, but not as bad as many.